mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My Audi A5 1.8 Tfsi 2008 103,000 miles was juddering violently

Customer Question

My Audi A5 1.8 Tfsi 2008 103,000 miles was juddering violently when starting up and cutting out when putting into reverse, managed to get it driving but had to keep clutch depressed to stop it cutting out as it was juddering violently and loudly, parked up and still judders when firing it up and keeps cutting out when putting into gear, engine light flashing and sounds loud, Can you advise what the problem is likely to be?, there was also signs of oil on top of engine cover, I'm worried the gearbox, engine, flywheel, clutch is knackered but obviously hoping it will be a cheaper fix like coil packs, sensor or ecu, I have a mechanic coming to diagnose it tomorrow but want to avoid being ripped off.
Lee
Category: Audi
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with one of the spark plugs blowing out of the cylinder head, this is not a common failure but does happen from time to time. To correct this issue the spark plug hole would have to be re threaded and a new spark plug put in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying, The car has been stood for 16 days without driving and it was the first time I'd driven it after being away, do you think further damage could have been caused by driving it slowly for 1/2 mile?, It was barely running and only in 1st second gear, I parked it up as soon as I could, didn't want to block off the town centre in rush hour, Is it possible the flywheel,clutch or gearbox could be damaged?, I just want to make sure I have enough knowledge to make sure I don't agree to work which isn't necessary.
The rev counter was also a little bit low and it sounded like it was juddering and cut out if I didn't keep foot on accelerator whilst parked and not moving.
Cam belt was intact and looked fine, I'm worried the garage will make out its more serious than it is.
There is normally no extra damage to any other parts with the exception of the ignition coil, the coil is sometimes damaged from the force of the plug blowing out, no other damage was likely done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The garage has informed me the timing belt has gone, can you advise what the cost should be to repair it if valves are bent/damaged in engine?
They need to remove engine head to check damage, it's going to be very expensive
Yes this can get expensive, the labor on removing the head is going to be about 5 hours at there hourly labor rate. IF the head has to be reworked this cost about 3 hours labor at the machine shops hourly labor rate, and the timing kit cost about 150