Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I had an alternator belt break, this fowled the timing belt

Customer Question

I had an alternator belt break, this fowled the timing belt and engine failure. Thousands of £'s later and I get the car back I have exactly the same problem with the engine management light comes on. I do exactly the same as previously reported and eventually it does not come back on again. The initial garage I took the car to replaced the turbo with a new one (Garrett who make them for Audi) and exactly the same problem still occurs. They take the car to an Audi dealer who diagnose turbo failure. They question it but put the original one back on. Same problem. They then take the car to another Audi dealer who reports back saying that its the DPF sensor. This was replaced but still the problem persists. They take the car back in and diagnose turbo failure (again). The new turbo was sent back to AR Turbos who thoroughly tested it and reported back to say that there's nothing wrong with it. Audi still insist that its the turbo. They replace it and guess what - still the same problem! Now they are saying that its coming up with a different fault and the turbo needs to be 'adapted to the vehicle', i.e., 'programmed to the vehicle.' My question is, as Audi knew that the car had had a replacement turbo and then the original one fitted back on and they had spoken to AR Turbos, wouldn't this latest diagnosis and reprogramming be the first thing that they check? After 3 turbos (2 of them new) and the same light showing 30 seconds after turning the engine on after each fit/refit, am I being fobbed off (very expensively)? They claim that reprogramming the vehicle will eliminate the problem but why did they not do this at the first Audi dealer? Audi UK are no use at all so I'm turning to you in desperation. Thank you for your help. Best regards, Mark

Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mark,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Hello Mark,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Hello Mark,
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.