Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a year 2000 audi TT quattro 1.8 225 BHP roadster, how

Customer Question

I have a year 2000 audi TT quattro 1.8 225 BHP roadster, how can I find out if it is sports suspension or standard suspension, furthermore are the front struts the same if it is sports or standard suspension. I have been in touch with the original audi dealer that sold the car but their reply is not specific and doesn't help.

Car reg X512USC

VIN TRUZZZ8NZY1090554

Hardly ASAP is it?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the sports suspension sits about 1/2" lower than the standard
, the struts are different as they are stiffer and the springs also stiffer as well as being shorter

a rough guide is the gap between the wheelarch and tyre is about 35-40mm suspension and 50-60mm suspension
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

35-40mm suspension and 50-60mm suspension.

Is that wheel, front and back?

I was already aware of what you replied, but was after this specific car thats why I included the vin no. etc. The car sellers Audi Edinburgh where less than specific but probably dealing with sales engineers rather than technical engineers, all the same thanks help.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

thats the same gap front and back

and the S-line suspension was an option introduced in 2003 so its unlikley the VIN is going to help as it will only show what was fitted to the car when it was built in 2000

as its now 15 years old its quite possible another owner has replaced the original suspension with S-line parts or pattern parts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There's no documented evidence that this car has a suspension change,

so you are saying that the suspension from the factory cannot possibly be sports yet audi customer services with the same info you had are saying it is definately sports suspension.

I am going to do what I should have done in the first place get an audi mechanic under the car and have a look.

I think it is poor that although audi customer support services say one thing and you say another and audi edinburgh say nothing sensible that there is no cast iron method to establish what comes out of the factory.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
David

I'd go by the wheelarch gap to provide the indication of whats fitted right now