Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a red oil light on in my 2005 Audi A6 TFSI which comes

Customer Question

I have a red oil light on in my 2005 Audi A6 TFSI which comes on and off recently. It says oil pressure however a local mechanic reckons it's just a sensor required as the oil is full. if it's not a sensor could the issue be a lot more sinister/expensive?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

sorry to say that having a full sump of oil does not gaurentee oil pressure as you can have oil pump problems that mean the pump isn't turning or otherwise not generating pressure

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As its intermittant and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

If you do have a low pressure reading ( should be 4 bar (59psi) at 2000rpm) and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help with this ?