mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2005 Audi 3.2 TT with a manual gearbox. The car has

I have a 2005 Audi 3.2 TT with a manual gearbox. The car has recently developed a whining noise which happens periodically only, so it is difficult to book it into a garage - I have twice set out garage and the noise doesn't happen. It can happen when I start the car up, a whining noise which raises then drops away as the engine revs rise then drop. It doesn't appear to happen while I am driving along, but when slowing down it will sometimes happen, particularly as I reduce speed approaching or going round a corner - when this happens, if I knock the car out of gear the noise stops as the revs reduce. The garage which services my car did tell me a wheel bearing is starting to go and I was happy to accept this as the cause until I realised the noise was also occurring sometimes when I start up and am stationery, or occurs when I go into a corner but not if I knock it out of gear. I am concerned that it may lead to more expensive repairs if left than if it could be sorted out now. Any help appreciated.
Category: Audi
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long response.
The issue that you are having is consistent with a failing clutch release bearing which is a common failure. The bearing is located inside of the gearbox on the shaft. The bearing is not expensive but the gearbox has to be removed to make this repair. When the bearing is failing it results in the symptoms that you are having.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike, Thanks help. I will take my Audi to the Audi garage I use etc. with your explanation - they were unable to fit me in in the short term which is why I tried Justanswer first time. Impressive response and I will 'rate' your reply accordingly. Any idea how many man hours this may take to fix? Regards, ***** *****

This will take about 4 hours to repair.