Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Engine oil use in an petrol 2.0 litre TFSI

Engine oil use in an petrol 2.0 litre
TFSI
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this engine is supposed to use 5W30 fully synthetic oil such as Mobil 1

so 1st check that you're using the correct oil 'weight' as if its thinner than this it will burn off more quickly and these engines can use up to a litre to a 1000 miles

the oil level indicator represents the old ' max and min' lines you'd get on a dipstick so as you say its the last / top 1ltr in the sump

so it is possible the oil level sensor is faulty, unfortunatly the only way to tell this is to drain all the oil off and measure the quantity

so try topping up 1st and note how long the added oil lasts, if the level just seems to drop straight away then I'd suggest doing the oil level drain and measure
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
I have been topping up with 5W30 fully synthetic. The oil level is not dropping straight away. I topped up 600 ml at 700 miles (1st top up) & today (2nd) 400ml @ roughly 1000 miles. I am concerned that there is an issue with the engine (however running like a clock) but after research noting that the TFSI is a heavy user of oil. Car was purchased last month (independent dealer) who carried fully service with new oil filter. Do I need to use 5W40 (heavier oil) with new filter to reduce oil usage? Not sure if this oil is compatible with TFSI /VW engines as I do not want to blow the turbo! Please advise. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello David

providing you still use a full synthetic then there's no issue with switching to a 5W40 and as you say this should help with oil consumption
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I need to change the oil filter as well?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
unless you're at the service interval then theres no need