Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

audi a6 2007 smoking and juddering engine check light on

Customer Question

audi a6 2007 smoking and juddering engine check light on turbo is working

faults 1.air mass sensor

2.turbo circuit sensor.

Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I please get a reply. I'll provide some more detail.
I am having a problem with my Audi A6 2007 2.0tdi. It's juddering and smoking. It also loses power from time to time. Two fault codes have come up after putting it on a computer. Air mass sensor and turbo circuit sensor faults came up. We've cleaned the egr valve which was filled with carbon deposits. That hasn't resolved the issue. There is also a whooshing noise that can be heard inside the car when accelerating.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the intercooler which is at the bottom of the front of the car a lot of sweaty oil drips could it be that it might be leaking or cracked somewhere onit

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

that sounds like a prime candinate

I'd 1st suggest pulling the bottom hose off it to see if there's any oil in there and also try spraying it with soapy water

then have your assistant rev the engine up ( with the hoses attached) whilst you watch the unit for any soap bubbles that form, which would indicate a leak
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi

do you still need help with this?