Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I wonder if you can help me. I have an automatic diesel

Customer Question

I wonder if you can help me. I have an automatic diesel estate. I have been having problems with my gear box. It seems to jump into gear and this past week it has suddenly started to over rev as thought it is slipping. I had the gear box topped up when it had done 100k. Do you think it could be the clutch??
Cheers Lois
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

There is no Clutch if its an Automatic gearbox only Manual gearboxes have that...I note you do mention you had the fluid topped up..normally you shouldnt have to do that unless you have an actual leak on the gearbox itself....To be honest if it where me id certainly try a full fluid/filter change on that gear box

- if the fluid has been changed for a long time or at anytime within the 100k then that would be best place to start and see how that goes...i recall fluid lines coming away and entering the gearbox oil is also cooled/via the main radiator so they need to be sure the gearbox oil isnt mixing with coolant or vice versa....but as above try the full service on the gearbox first...