Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

i have an inermitent tapping from engine on tickover which

i have an inermitent tapping from engine on tickover which dissapears as soon as you take revs up to 10 engine is mk 1 tt done 90000 miles your last answer was spot on.

I've had anew oil pump fitted still got the problem

Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if you've got a top-end rattle or regular ticking that increases in tempo with increasing rpm then yes I'd agree it could be a sticking valve lifter, as these use a small hydraulic piston to take up the valve clearances and what can happen is the small oil ways that feed the piston chamber can get clogged up

so the 1st course of action is to try an oil flush treatment complete with a new filter and fresh oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Matt I have had anew oil pump and fresh oil and filter the thing is that its only there on tickover and as sonn as you touch the accelerator it goes away and the engine sounds ok do you still think its a valve lifter if you do i will try the oil flush you recommend thanks for your advice tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Matt I have had anew oil pump and fresh oil and filter the thing is that its only there on tickover and as sonn as you touch the accelerator it goes away and the engine sounds ok do you still think its a valve lifter if you do i will try the oil flush you recommend thanks for your advice also it sounds like the tapping is coming from all the cylinders tom

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Tom

OK if the issue goes away with increased engine speed then you may have low oil pressure

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port -

a low pressure reading will be below 4 bar (59psi) at 2000rpm with hot oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok Matt thanks like I said its had new oil pump but ill get my mate to check oil pressure as the cars going in the garage monday if it is that i will give you a good rating and tip if you think of any other possible causes. i thought maybe tappit settings let me know what you think. thanks Matt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
don't know if answer is correct until car is tested on monday
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thomas

its a hydaulic tappet on this engine which providing they've got oil and aren't clogged then they shouldn't tap - unless theres not enough oil of course
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Matt if ther are no tappets to set then i will try an oil flush does this mean just fresh oil or is it some sort of chemical needed to flush the engine

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thomas

oil flush treatments are an acidic chemical that attacks carbon and sludge, dissolving them

so you add the treatment, drive around for 10 miles or so then drain the oil and fill up with fresh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Matt Ill get my mate at his garage to do that Monday if its ok ill rate and tip you on tuesday

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood - but don't forget to check oil pressure too if the flush doesn't work

good luck
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks Matt cant do flush till later in week my garage mates gone sick but ive rated you excellent thanks again Tom