JagLandyFord, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Audi Technician

I have a A3 diesel Sport. It appears to have the pipe

Customer Question

I have a A3 diesel Sport. It appears to have blown the pipe from the Turbo. I was accelerating hard to keep up with a line of traffic - large pop, loss of power plume of blue smoke. Engine still runs and drives - a little slowly - no loss of oil.
Suggestions please.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It looks like you know what the cause was - so you are half way there.

The turbo pipes often get a thin film of oil which is passed through the induction system due to the high pressures of the turbo etc.

This is nothing to be too concerned about, as this is normal.

As a result of this constant layer of oil - the rubber hoses begin to deteriorate, becoming soft and slippery.

Sometimes they completely split and blow off under pressure or they simply slip off under pressure.

You will experience the loud 'pop' of the pipe blowing off, and currently you will probably experience the loud 'hissing' noise if your accelerate under load.

This will be normal in the present conditions with no pipe fitted.

You could complete a check of the turbo 'tubine vanes' and 'shaft' whilst this pipe is not in place. However please ensure the engine is switched off when you complete these checks.

You should be able to - (if access is available) to reach in with your finger - possibly thumb to check the condition of the vanes - for missing or damaged condition.

You can also check for excess movement of the shaft. This will determine whether the bearings are excessively worn or even completely collapsed.

There should be no more than 0.5mm movement - and even that I would say is getting near to excessive.

If you are able to refit the pipe - then please do so - securing the hose clips mores tightly and if possible clean as much of the oil residue out as possible.

If the pipe is in such a poor condition - then a new one with new securing clips is advisable to be fitted.

I hope this helps.

Best regards