Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

There, I have a 1999 audi a4 1.6. t969 aft. When I got the

Hi there, I have a 1999 audi a4 1.6. t969 aft. When I got the car last year I found out it had overheated. I replaced the water pump and now all is fine. However, the MOT advisory says the engine is now is blowing blue smoke under acceleration. But it did pass the emisions test after replacing the exhaust pipe etc. The car is in really good condition and it would be such a shame to scrap it if it fails this years test due in July. Should I get the engine fixed 13400 miles it has done! Or look for a replacement engine. And what engines will fit the car? Would it be possible to upgrade to a 1.8 or a 2L for example? Any help/advice to my Quandary would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, John.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello John if its blowing blue smoke then its burning oil and with that level of millage I'd say a good used engine is the most economical repair, a 1.8 or 2.0 would fit but he difficulty is the the ECU has to match the engine and the ECU is also programmed to match the car security so anything other than another 1.6 will give issues in getting it all to talk to each other again its not impossible but it will need work personally I'd just source another good used 1.6
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mat and thank you for that. Yes I see your point on the ECU issues, and now at least i now know where I stand with the car. Last years Mot cost £800. !! I only use the car as a runaround, I do very little mileage in it. I think if it passes another mot, all well and good. But if it fails, and due to the age of the car it will probably go to the breakers. Sourcing another engine Iam finding difficult, and even if I do. the cost of all the work etc etc. Ah well, If any good has come out of this, It has taught me a lesson never to trust even a car dealer on ebay!!

Thanks again for your advice

John

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem john Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.