Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My audi a3 2.0 tdi sline on a 56 plate keeps flashing up

hi my audi a3 2.0 tdi sline on a 56 plate keeps flashing up with engine management e.s.p and oil pressure warning , it will lose a bit of power then when i turn the ignition off the car struggles to start for a few ties ,once started the lights all go out for a time then will come on randomly as before .Please can you tell me what the problem is as i have only had it a year and its only done 35,000 miles with regular services .Also changed the oil pressure sensor hoping that was the cause but it but wasn't .Thank you very much
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thank you for your message ,yes i would like to keep the question open please as i can't find anything related to this on any web site and getting worried about whats causing the problem .

Thank you again

k pawluk

Hello K Pawluk,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As its intermittant and you have no rumbling or rattling noises from the engine its likely to be an electrical fault so 1st check the connection to the pressure switch is bright and clean and check back along the switch wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

If you do have a low pressure reading ( should be 4 bar (59psi) at 2000rpm) and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years