Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Audi A6 RS6 C6 2009. I have an occasional problem

I have an Audi A6 RS6 C6 2009. I have an occasional problem with the paddle changers on the steering wheel. Sometimes only one works, other times they both work, and other times after distance driving neither work. The centre console shift lever works fine, all the time.
Regards Martin
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Martin

I'd 1st suggest removing the plastic trim around the steering column and checking the connections for the steering wheel wiring loom - disconnect both halves and spray the contacts with switch cleaner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the late reply. I have only just noticed that you had replied. I need to check something before i move to attempt rectification as suggested. When the switches are not working they do not actually feel like a switch. they seem to seize in to a solid feel.

Regards Martin

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

if the paddles are sticking then its likely that they may need replacing

its something that occcurs on other models and there's no fix other than to replace the parts ( about £70 in parts and hours labour to fit)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this something that an audi specialist has to carry out as the manual says that the drivers airbag has to be removed to access the paddle fixings. Following the removal of the drivers air bag will the ECU need reprogramming/resetting.

Regards Martin

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

removal of the airbag is required so its best to disconnect the battery for 20 mins before attempting the job - which can mean the ECU will need reasettign - not all the time though

if you're at all unsure about this (and I wouldn't blame you if you were) then get the dealer involved
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years