Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Is it possible to alter the wiring of the cigar lighter socket

Is it possible to alter the wiring of the cigar lighter socket so that it is no longer alive when the ignition is turned off?
I have a 2002 Audi A8 Sport.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
This is possible - what you would need to do is access the feed wire to the cig lighter and snip it / disconnect it and tape it up securely so that its not going to short out anywhere. This wire comes from the ign feed -
When you snip it - leave enough wire dangling off the cig lighter to reconnect your new feed to -- around a couple of inches.
What you will need to do then is trace a feed coming from the ignition that is switched off when the ign is switched off - there are several wires going up to the back of the ignition - you will need a meter or a 12v test lamp simply to test / trace one - then when you have found one such wire - simply connect into that one with the likes of a scotch lock connector - and run the wire to the cig lighter tail piece of wire that you left hanging - and connect up to that in the same way.
Best Rgds, MIKE.
............. Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .