Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I had 3 panels on my A4 resprayed (Yellow) by a competent

Customer Question

I had 3 panels on my A4 resprayed (Yellow) by a competent bodywork sprayer. However the colour is distinctly lighter on these panels. He tells me the rest of the car is wrong?? I discovered that the original paint is water-based, he used acrylic but with
the same colour code. Would this be the reason the color is so different?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.There are a lot of factors that will effect the colour, different paints used will be one of them, yellow paint however tends to fade to become lighter, in your case if the new colour is lighter than the original paint unless the car has previously been fully resprayed in a different shade, this is going to be an issue with the new paint.When panels are painted the colour should be matched to your current paintwork shade using special equipment to get an exact match, if this was not done there is a good chance the paint will come out a slightly different shade, and this is more noticeable when complete panels are done as there is no blend between the new and old paint, some colours are not so noticeable but yellow should always be matched to your car, not paint code. Going back to the type of paint used, acrylic is effectively a water based paint, and the original paint would have been a very similar type of paint if not the same, but if the paint is matched to the colour code the paint type is somewhat irrelevant as the colour should always be the same regardless of paint type, the only variable would be the actually finish the paint gives. I'm doubtful the paint type is causing the problemI suspect either the paint was not matched correctly or was mixed incorrectly if the paint is lighter but it would be worth checking that it has not previously had a respray, in this case the paint would need to be matched up and resprayed.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross
Thanks for the reply. I have had the car since new so I know that the panels are original paint except the ones I have had done myself
Can I use your reply to send to the person who did the work?
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Yes no problem. Best of luck getting the problem resolved, regards, Ross.