Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Have not driven q7 weeks, tried to start car and all

Customer Question

Have not driven q7 for two weeks, tried to start car and all I'm get are 1-2 turns on start, dash lights completely gone, central locking not working, and rear hazard lights are flashing, AA recovery tried to jump start but no success. Please can someone tell what the problem could be.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
Your symptoms are that of a flat / poor car battery - When you get the battery that low on residual power - you will get odd electrics as you have - and , the jump start will not work - because the battery as fitted needs a certain level even to take a jump, power is lost in transfer from the jump pack to the car... This engine is large too - and needs it being done properly to crank it.
So I suggest you fully charge the battery -or fit a known good /new one and Im sure then from what you have said, that will sort this out for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike
I'm still a little confused because the AA recovery guy used two jump batteries together and it still didn't start up, and he also used his diagnostic machine and suggested there was electrical fault (obvious) and I needed to take the car to main dealer. I will try again in the morning by doing what you suggested, I dreading this because those batteries aren't easy to get to.
By the way the car had a new battery fitted 8 months ago, I think it might by the wrong type; could you advise my on the correct battery to be fitted to a Audi Q7.
Thank for you help
Kind Regards
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Des - Thank you for your reply. I was just reaching for the power off button when your reply popped up - so I thought Id get straight back to you ..I understand what you are saying - and you may be right... but the battery situation as I have described - based on the outline of whats happened, has to be checked out fully - otherwise you could be going round in circles - Its a common issue this as I outlined above -so you must be 100% certain the battery is good. so again - they have to be checked properly to be sure - All being well, thats all its going to be...again for the reasons I mentioned.Just further - if it were an immobilser issue - you would get a flashing LED on the security system when trying to start it - and you wouldn't get the issues with the dash lights / hazards etc.If its proven not to be the battery/s as above, then its going to be a module fault - most likely the BCM - body control module - which has overall control of the functions in question - but of course that relies on full battey power you see why Im saying what I am.If it is a BCM issue - you really are going to need dealer help to get that sorted.As regards ***** ***** batteries for the car you have - there are several types / versions / makes - and power types you can go for.. You will always pay more at a dealer for a battery - but you can get just as good a battery - designed for the car - from a battery supplier or even car shop / motor factors for a lot less than a dealer.You can go for the likes of Tanya batteries - which are a good battery ( and they do different strengths too).. up to say Varta batteries which are excellent but pricey... and mid range batteries. A good local battery supplier / motor factor will advise you and you can go with that - inc consideration of finances of course too.Generally though you need to be looking at a battery of at least a 95 ah.. amp hr. -- really I always suggest to go with the best / strongest you can afford to go with ... the more power , the better.Yuassa are a battery company I like - click on this link HERE .. I have looked that up for you - a 100 amp battery at a good price... Motor factors around towns stock these - It gives you an overall idea....I hope that all helps you further - do let me know if you need anything further.Please do click on the Ok ratings for me at this point - and I thank you for that.. Again, you can get back to me anytime at all -Best Rgds. MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike
The charging of the battery did not work. I connected the battery engine starts up then immediately shuts down; the central locking does not work; and the dash board does not illuminate when I turn the key without starting the engine. What could the problem be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike
Sorry I forgot to mention, there is a water leak in the passenger side footwell it is soaked. Could this have A connection with the starting and dashboard problem?