Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an A6 4.2 V8 (2001). The exhaust manifold has

Customer Question

I have an A6 4.2 V8 (2001). The exhaust manifold has a small leak so is blowing slightly - its just passed it MOT so its not that bad. I've been told the engine needs removing to fit a new gasket - can you tell me if this is correct or if there is another easier (cheaper!) option?
rgds
Dave
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shantal - still waiting for an answer,

thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shantal,

You do not seem to be able to answer my question.

Please can I get my £15 fee refunded.

Many thanks.

Dave Smallwood

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Dave apologies for the long waitmanifold exhaust leaks are not uncommon on these andyou're quite right in saying the usual fix is to remove the engine to access the gasket, as the space to do the job is so tight however you don't have to take it right out, its more a case of dropping the rear mount off and allowing it to 'sag' a bit to increase access at the rear this link shows a how to http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4_cabriolet_mk2/power_unit/8-cylinder_engine_%284.2_ltr._5-valve_with_timing_chains%29_mechanics/exhaust_system/removing_and_installing_parts_of_exhaust_system/removing_and_installing_front_exhaust_pipe_%28left-side%29_with_starter_catalytic_converter_and_main_catalytic_converter_%28vehicles_w/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the link, but it looks like its just for removing the front part of the exhaust - is there enough access to remove the manifold but doing this?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes there should be but you will need some ratcheting ring spanners to work in the small gapthese are good http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/halfords-advanced-professional-12-piece-ratchet-spanner-set
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt,

Are you based in the UK? Would you be interested in doing this job of rme?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Dave yes I'm in the UK but I don't have a ramp as I'm not a mechanic I work as an engineer within the automotive industry