Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Wife's A3 had an ESP fault light on yesterday and wouldn't

Customer Question

Wife's A3 had an ESP fault light on yesterday and wouldn't start. Just made a clicking noise. Was able to get it jump started and battery is still at 12.3 V this morning so not a battery issue. What do you think may be the cause and is it likely to recur?
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried to start it again this morning. Was at 12.3 V, then 11 V after we tried to start it (more clicking noises and then we got it started on the fourth try... Wondering if it is more likely that the battery needs to be replaced, the starter, or something else?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello If the car's not cranking then first check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well. There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.