Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have just taken my 2007 Audi A3 to a garage as the

I have just taken my 2007 Audi A3 to a garage as the check engine light came on. They have given me code P0234 and said the valve is completely jammed which is why it is going into limp mode.
They have quoted roughly £800 to fix, is this a realistic price or is there anything else I can do?
Chris
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clicked call request in error. No need for a call. If you could just respond here that would be great.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Normally PO234 is an Overboost Condition..normally it can be set by sticking turbo variable vanes which are inside the turbo on the exhaust portion of the turbo unit turbine side..this is what the waste gate actuator operates on the turbo..you also have to ensure the wastegate actuator is working and the vacuum line to it is not split..they can follow it back to the control solinod..disconnect it and use a hand pump to actuate the wastegate on the turbo manually to see if it moves freely or not..if not..then its pretty obvious the turbo vanes are stuck or the wastegate diaphram is leaking and that involves basically getting the turbo removed..cleaned up if the vanes are stuck or replacement of the entire turbo unit and or wastegate actuator..on the other hand if the wastegate does operate manually then the problem will either be one or two of the most common area either a back wastegate control solinoid or the map sensor..both of which would require testing which you garage should be able to check for you using their equipment vagcom etc..this isnt something that can be carried out on diy bases...The cost isnt entirely suprising considering the work to get the unit out or clean up..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do before you rate