Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an audi a6 quatro 2004 and while i was driving suddenly

Customer Question

Hi! I have an audi a6 quatro 2004 and while i was driving suddenly the glow plug indicator lamp start flashing and i lost power and the car stopped. I cannot start the car again i had to call recovery. This is the second time happening. First time i took the car to the mechanic and he changed the oils and the filters and even the batery and i had no problems for about a week. 2 days ago i wanted to start the engine and the batery was dead and today aswell the batery was dead but i charged it and i went for a drive to charge it completely and this glow plug thing happened again. Can you please help me? Thanks a lot
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I paid £22 for nothing?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello when the glow plug light flashes on this car it means that there's a fault logged within the ECU so ideally the next step should be to get the car plugged into a diagnostic device to pull off the fault code and so point to the faultfrom your description this could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure. If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.