Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 1.9 manual a3 with engine problems the car

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2009 1.9 manual a3 with engine problems the car has only done 26.000 miles . The problem is when you are driving the engine will just cut out as though you have switched off the engine and then resumes back to full power . The car also will rev up max revs on it own this happens when you are changing up or down gear. The garage has replaced the clutch switch ,the throttle switch , the throttle body, the egr valve, checked the turbo and pipes had the ecu board checked by experts, replaced the duel mass flywheel and clutch and still it is not cured . When they plug in the computer for a diagnostic report it comes up clear no faults found. Have you any ideas ?Thanks Keith
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'm assuming that this is the disesel engineso this is gettting extra fuel from somewhere 1st thing to check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it. If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil. If you do find oil replace the valveAlso check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off