Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Audi A4 TDI 2.5. Age 2003 low KMs (74000). Beautiful

Hi I have an Audi A4 TDI 2.5. Age 2003 low KMs (74000). Beautiful car like new. Just took it to ski resort for a few days. Very difficult to start in cold, and lots of exhaust smoke when she eventually started. Any ideas how to cure, as I am planning another ski trip. Thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantal, thanks for your message. I have not found a solution, so if you're able to find someone that can help I'd be grateful. Many thanks, ***** *****
Hello Edward,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years