Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Matt, I have had the engine management light coming on

Customer Question

Hello Matt, I have had the engine management light coming on 2 or 3 times now. No loss of power or limp home mode. Also when I boot it hard I get a cloud of black smoke I have been told some sort of valve needs replacing it blows oil over the inline fule filter but I cant find out which filter this is.Any help would be greatfully appriceated. Bill Hinton.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill OK I'd say that this may be the EGR valve,this is located on the inlet manifold and joined with a pipe to the exhaust manifold1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. if you were to get the engine light to come on and stay on then you would be able get a diagnostic device to pull the fault code and so point directly at the fault
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you