Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

AUDI A4 20.I PETROL.2OO6.I HAVE OIL IN THE COOLING SYSTEM,E.G

AUDI A4 20.I PETROL.2OO6.I HAVE OIL IN THE COOLING SYSTEM,E.G EXSPANSION TANK BUT NO WATER IN ENGINE OR SUMP AND CAR IS RUNNING GOOD.WHAT CAN THIS BE??
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Could well be your Oil Cooler..there's a cooler chamber which is part or attached to the oil filter housing..you'll note a coolant hose leading to it..normally the cooler fails internally and this allows oil to pass into the coolant system..but not the other way round due to the higher pressure the oil system creates..so persuming as far as you tell the engine seems to run fine could exclude the headgasket being at fault..so in that view a new oil cooler will be required and complete flush out as no doubt replacement of rubber hoses if required of the entire coolant system