Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Can a different sound system be installed in an Audi A1

Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will continue waiting. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have received a further email stating that an answer cannot be given. Please arrange refund.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

I'm not sure why you received that mail

do you still want an answer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if u have one ūüėä
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can Matt call ***********
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

the tricky part of upgrading the A1 system is that a lot of other car functions are built into the head unit

you can make a worthwhile step by replacing the door speakers with better parts

now one of the easiest options is to fit the BOSE parts that were an optional upgrade when the car was new

there was also an optional BOSE head unit if you want to pursue that avenue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A1-S-1-S-LINE-BOSE-AMP-SPEAKERS-SUBWOOFER-8X0035412A-8X0035223-3-DORS-/301968260608?hash=item464eb5fe00:g:5aAAAOSwu1VW56A9

another excellent speaker upgrade are the parts made by infinity

http://www.infinityspeakers.com/car-audio/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. The Audi MMI System factory fitted is not working. Audi diagnosis is "static loop break confirming 5F control unit is unable to be communicated with". Quoted £1400 to sort hence reason for wanting to install new system which would cost less but wondered if possible ........re question !!
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the extra information

to get a communication issue then its usually a broken wire but locating which one and then replacing that loom is where the break is , is what takes a lot of time hence the high cost - this is in addition to the high hourly rate of an audi dealership ( £180/ hr?)

As a way forward I'd suggest to get an auto electrician involved as their hourly rate will be a lot less

what may also be required is a new head / MMI unit as sometimes the communication fault can be internal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A1-2011-8X-MMI-NAVIGATION-UNIT-AUDI-MUSIC-INTERFACE-SCREEN-8X0035182K-H-/282045901665?hash=item41ab3eeb61:g:ZXcAAOSwKsRWFvZX

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been in touch with my nephew who owns a garage. He will get in touch with an auto electrician friend and hopefully can get this issue resolved. I will show him your advice. Aberdeen Audi have just opened a huge new garage/showroom........now I know how they can afford it !! Thanks for your help.
Fran