Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an audi TT 3.2 mk 1 4 wheel drive. On the rear

Customer Question

I have an audi TT 3.2 mk 1*****
On the rear drivers side when driving the car there is a loud clunking/clicking noise which gets faster as I accelerate, then slowing down again at lower speeds.
Having the car up on a ramp, when spinning the wheel there is no noise. ?
Any idea what this noise could be? :)
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd 1st check for a worn wheel bearing

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault

if this is OK then it could be a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, take a look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease.

also check the rear brake disc and pads for signs of binding up

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you