Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car suddenly started jerking when the car was trying to

Customer Question

My car suddenly started jerking when the car was trying to change gear this got worse over the day when I took it out the next day this got even worse wouldn't go into gear at all in D but managed to switch to manual shift to change gear then the whole car started to shake and revs just go up but car barely moves.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

This vehicle appears to have an automatic transmission fitted.

So if it has been juddering and now barely moving - this would suggest that there has been considerable fluid loss from the transmission unit.

I would advise that the fluid level needs to be checked, by an experienced mechanic or audi dealer / specialist.

If the fluid is too low - then the internal transmission oil pump is unable to pump pressure around the transmission to enable it to operate.

This will also cause the gear friction clutches to slip. If they slip - they will over heat.

Unlike a conventional Manual transmission - the clutches should never slip - they should only be on or off during the transmission operation.

I hope this helps you understand and assist with resolving your concern.

Best Regards