Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Audi A5 3L deisel Quatro that developed a noise

Customer Question

I have a Audi A5 3L deisel Quatro that developed a noise that sounds for all the world like Tire noise. Weirdly it sounds louder on smooth tarmac roads and is un-affected by steering left or right on motorway slip roads. The sound doesn't change whatever the engine load, and Yes Ive put it into neutral and let the car coast. The noise it like a sound a defender landrover with mud tyres.
Ive change all four tyres and out of options. Any advise would be very welcome
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK if the noise is there all the time then I'd suggest it would be worthwhile checking the suspension geometry as if you have a tyre or 2 scrubbing then this can create excess noise

this has to be done on a 4 wheel alignment rig as all 4 wheels need to be setup independently of each other