Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Would my 2014 Audi A3 TFSI on board computer tell me if I

Customer Question

Would my 2014 Audi A3 TFSI on board computer tell me if I had an oil leak please
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

The car itself wouldnt be able to determine if the engine had an oil leak from somewhere...but it would likely alert to a drop in oil pressure or level even over time depending on the severity of the leak..but then any significant leak would be seen from under the car id imagine as well as the engine becoming noiser as a result of lack of oil circulation or if leaking internally blue/grey smoke from the tail pipe etc..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A friend noticed "oil" on their drive after I had visited but there is absolutely nothing on my drive or any other indications of a leak
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

You or they would need to be certain it was oil..and not mistaken for maybe some other fluid like the Airconditioning draining off?..besides if there is no leak on your drive then there cant much of significant leak if any...Id maybe check the oil level anyway..preferably with the car on a level road surface after being left for about an hour..then you'll get an accurate reading..if its low or below half way then you may need to have the car inspected as a pre-caution..and top up if required with the correct spec of oil..which you may want to aquire incase..but only topped up if need be! the level should be near the max mark is fine..not over.....Hope this helps..In the mean time please dont forget to leave a rating before you log out ..much appreciated