Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just taken my wife's A1 1.6 TDi to Bolton Audi of exhaust

Hi, just taken my wife's A1 1.6 TDi to Bolton Audi for rectification of exhaust temp sensor 3.
I've been told the sensor is seized and now have to have a new DPF as well as the sensor. Quoting me £3008, yes £3008.
Is this a typical fault and realistic cost, seems outrageous considering I was quoted £304 for the sensor fix...
Not very happy
Cheers
Mick
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mick,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would still like to know if this is a common fault
Thankd
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mick

a new set of DPF parts will cost that much if you buy the parts from Audi

and as the sensor is seized in place then the parts will need replacing

now you can save money buy buying pattern parts from Eurocar parts and I'd also get a small independent garage to do the work as their labour rate will be considerably less than the dealers

and a small garage may also more motivated to try and remove the sensor so saving the cost of a new DPF as with enough effort you can usually remove a seized part ( drilling it out for example)

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years