Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I was driving along yesterday and had to brake sharply and

Customer Question

I was driving along yesterday and had to brake sharply and my abs kicked in as normal but about 5 minutes later it feels like my rear brakes start to grip and hold the car back, I jacked it up when I got home after letting it cool down for 10 minutes and all the wheels spun fine? I've drove it again yesterday and it was fine but this morning it has started doing it again they're dragging and the pedal feels hard, any ideas what might be the cause?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

I'd suggest to try bleeding the brakes all round to refresh the fluid as this will help with pistons sticking and brakes jamming on

I'd also suggest to strip the calipers down again and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you