Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have an Audi A4 1.8 t 2003 on about 130k miles. I had the

Customer Question

Hi I have an Audi A4 1.8 t 2003 on about 130k miles. I had the gearbox replaced with a reconditioned one at my local garage as the old one had an internal problem and was too expensive to repair. I drove the car for about 28 miles and parked up and left the car for a few hours. When I returned and sat in the car to start it up I noticed a message on the dash asking me to check the brake fluid level (!)(!)(!) I checked the break fluid level and it seemed ok so I took it for a cautionary drive around the car park to to see if it was breaking properly and it was so I drove home no problems with the drive, breaking changing gear etc.. I left it overnight and got in to it in the morning to drive to work and when I put my foot down on the clutch it just sank to the floor and wouldn't come back up. I arranged for it to be towed to the garage and the mechanic bled it and told me that there were no leaks however there could be a problem with the slave cylinder but wasn't one hundred percent sure. He asked me to take it for a drive again and so I did and I noticed that the pressure on the clutch was dipping gradually so I parked it up. I got in to it in the morning and low and behold the clutch had sank to the floor again any ideas as to what could be causing this? Cheers
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

If the pedal is sinking to the floor then that usually cause by a leak or geting into the clutch hydraulic system..sometimes this can be spotted by wetness on the body of the slave or the master cylinder that the clutch pedal is attached too if its leaking..have they ensured the line to the slave cylinder are fully secure and sealed?..the reason for the brake warning light is because the clutch hydraulics uses the same fluid reservior as the brakes so if the level is dropping then thats why you have the brake warning coming up..becuase the level has dropped too low...they need to do a proper inspection of the master cylinder for leaks the supply line to the slave cylinder aswell as the slave itself for leaks..unless the seals have gone in the either of the cylinders then the last resort is to just get the both cylinders replaced and the system rebled