Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have just bought a 2013 audi a1 tfsi auto.. 1.4. I have

Customer Question

Hi i have just bought a 2013 audi a1 tfsi auto.. 1.4. I have choosen not to use stop start function as i dnt like it. Even tho i do stop start a lot. I hve just been on a short journey and wen i parked up my engine down middle under bonnet was red hot. I was stuck in traffic for abt 5 mins. I put my hand on bonnet and had to take it strait off.
Is this normal. If it gets that hot after a short journey im worried. I bought it from jct 600 in lincoln. And it had all the appropriate checks.
Do i have to use the stop/ start system?
Louise
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please call to discuss
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont understand ur answer but please call me to discuss
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im in the uk
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Does the temp guage sit at normal usually around 90?

Have you inspected the coolant level when the engine is COLD to ensure its ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it cud be because its hot outside. And i was crawling in traffic. Is it damaging the engine if i choose not to ever use it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please cud u call me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Its not unusal to come across that on these cars im afraid..and using or not using the Stop/Start feature shouldnt have any bearing on causing the engine or bonnet to run hot.and not using wont be damaging the engine..before stop/start was even put in these.its didnt cause any issues with the engine having it running at idle in traffic etc..but the main fan should help reduce coolant heat flowing through the radiator. If the temperature guage sits ok at 90..and you've inspected the coolant level with the engine COLD and the level is fine..then you shouldnt have any reason to worry about that..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi thats reassuring robert and true. Its just had a multipoint check so im sure the fan is working. Temp was 22 degrees outside too. Just scared me becoz it was so hot i cudnt put my hand on it for longer than a second. Its an stronic. Dosnt say anywhre in manual that u cant not switch it off i
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Plus if car is moving then air is getting in of not its bound to be hot. Maybe i shud use it of stop starting in traffic
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Yeah bigger audi's can suffer the same problem...I dont personally see going by what i know and seen..you have major issue there....Not the manual wont say either way.. you can use the Stop/Start feature if you want or not..Stop/Start is just another one these systems thats supposed to reduce fuel consumption and pollution.debate on whether it does! ..so if you dont want to use the feature then you should be fine to do so and continue as you are.....But yes you right when the cars moving forward then air does pass through the radiator and this is what regulates the coolant temp.of course when stationary then it the main fans / thermostats job to that at certain temps..to keep the engine from overheating.....I mean if you want i dont see any problem maybe popping back to the dealer you purchased the car from to maybe give it a check..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi cant do that its 2 hrs away. Uve reassured me plus it had all the checks last tuesday. I hve asked an audi technician from jct 600 on lincoln to call me tomoro but thanku so much for ur info robert
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

I see ok.. No problem..well if you need to ask anything else or advice then just ask.... Also before you log out please make you have rated one of the answers above..much appreciated..