Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I had a timing belt changed on an Audi A6 2.5 diesel with

Customer Question

Hi, I had a timing belt changed on an Audi A6 2.5 diesel with 230000 miles on it on December - full service history. The timing belt went at the beginning of August. I took it back to the garage presuming money back or a fix, but they have said it is due to a worn camshaft. I am no mechanic, but talking to mechanically minded people they seem to think this is unlikely. There were no added noise before the cam belt went.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

In what way did the timing belt fail? did it snap or become loose..did the belt shows signs of any damage or excess wear on any edges etc?

How did they check for a worn camshaft?

On the invoice they should of replaced the timing belt along with all the associated pulleys/water pump? and if so what brand did they install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It snapped - with no noise before the snap / no loss of power.
Claim they have stripped it to have a look.
The whole job got done because it needed a water pump and heat sensor. Don't know the brand.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi there..

Ok in my opinion generally premature reason for failure can be incorrect fitting..In most cases a cam belt breaks because its maybe too slack not properly tensioned.. the water pump collapses, a guide pulley has seized, the tensioner has failed or all 3 have been substandard components aswell as the belt itself or foreign matter or something has caught up in the belt and cause it to snap..missalignment of the belt not running true can also be factor..I cant really see camshaft wear cause a belt a to snap unless the cam locked up for what ever reason...Nornally as above is the most common causes for premature belt failure