Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 6 year old Audi A4 with 64,000 miles on the clock.

I have a 6 year old Audi A4 with 64,000 miles on the clock. Audi have recommended I change the cam belt but I only do 5,000 miles per year and may sell the car in 2 years so is an unnecessary expense at c. £500?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

I dont think it is to be honest..its likely the time interval as overlapped the mileage..so the age of the belt is the concern..so its really a case of get it done soon or recommended above by Audi..or risk leaving it and have the belt go and then have a bill 3 times what you've been quoted above..you have to remember its not just the belt itself..its the pulleys/tensioner/water pump you have to think about too..and considering your continuing to use the car for the next 2 years aswell as sell it on..any documentation showing the belt and pulleys/pump where done at the time above or mileage..then that would certainly be good thing towards it when you come to sell it on