Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2006 q7 with 89 k miles on it. in the last few

Customer Question

Hi there, i have a 2006 q7 with 89 k miles on it.
in the last few months it has been smoking (grey and very strong fumes) generally in slow traffic it gets worse, doesnt notice on motorways unless you kick down at night you can see it but it when you get to a steady speed it seems to clear.
Just wondered if the egr valve cause cause this ?
Kevin.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kevin,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

yes a sticking EGR valve would create this sort of issue

So check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you