Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an audi a6 slide 2010. recently I have had a

Customer Question

hi there. I have an audi a6 slide 2010. recently I have had a reconditioned gear box, a brand new dual mass fly wheel & clutch fitted. I have had problems with smoothness of gear changes and upon a 4th visit back to the shop that carried out the work and a visit to an audi specialist to help find the problems the original garage re-replaced the dual mass again. When I got it back, it seemed to be driving just like my old car, until a drive shaft heat shield, which had not been bolted back on correctly came loose and not i am back to square one. I can also hear a gargling noise coming from the transmission, when in motion and in neutral. Sorry for the long question ut i am pulling my hair out. Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry an a6 s line cv10vto
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

If you haven't already then I'd check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

I'd also check for a broken or defective driveshaft vibration damper - some models feature a rubber mass about halfway along the driveshaft - this functions as a vibration damper so 'tuning out' vibration - the rubber needs to be not cracked and the damper firmly fixed to the shaft and running true - anything other than this and the entire shaft will have to be replaced as they are bonded in place

and can I ask if the transmission oil has been replaced? as it needs doing every 35K or so and fresh oil often helps

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think it has. Well that is what the mechanics at the original garage told me anyway. If there was a new gearbox fitted would that not be a must?
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

hello

yes if the gearbox has been replaced then yes they will have almost certainly filled it with fresh fluid