Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car stall after transporting abroad. Driving it for a bit

My car stall after transporting abroad . Driving it for a bit cured it but again after sitting for a week did the same ganain and today it was leeking petrol i opened the petrol cap lot of air hussed and no more leek . What cose the leak or drip ?
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long do you i need to wait ? If i choose to wait.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. Unfortunately JustAnswer can't guarantee a time, however most questions are answered in a timely manner.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

if the petrol tank vent system isn't working then this can create a stall

so I'd begin by checking the condition of the fuel tank gas cap seal and one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have taken it to an audi dealer today . They have phoned me and told me they have found a fuel in charcoal filter . Thats where it was leKing from. How could a fuel go in to charcoal filter ? What is the possblitys ?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

thats quite possible as the charcoal canister is part of the fuel tank ventilation system

so the fuel tank purge gas is bled off from the top of the tank and fed back into the engine with a control valve

but in the line is a reservoir thats impregnated with charcoal to catch any fumes

for a canister to fill up with fuel then its likley that the purge valve on the engine isn't working correctly so I'd ask for entire purge system to be checked over

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have recived a call from audi today they have told me that they have emptied the fuel out of the charcoal filter , they have ordered a new one for me wich will arrive in 7-10 days but it is safe to drive as the fuel in charcoal filter took long time to build up . The engine stalling is cosed by the valve in charcoal filter as it will be fixed once they replace it . Can i get an secon oppinion from you is this true ?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

thats a very likely scenario and I'd agree the car is safe to drive in the meantime

but I'd also ask that they check that the purge valve solenoid is opening as it should and that the line from the purge cannister ( charcoal cannister) is not blocked

as for a cannister to fill up then usually this means the purge valve is faulty

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years