Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2003rs6 using water and overheating what is wrong Assistant:

Customer Question

2003rs6 using water and overheating what is wrong
Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: water seems to disapeer
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Audi?
Customer: 2003 rs6 saloon
Assistant: Are you fixing your Saloon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wehave had car from almost new and now want to keep it as a collectors car and want to repair it ourselves we have already spent 30000 pounds at dealers
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: is it head gasket do heads warp
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you