Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My audi A3 2002 engine is overheating in a short distance

Customer Question

My audi A3 2002 engine is overheating in a short distance travel. What is going wrong?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

So what has these mechanics checked or replaced so far upto this point if anything?

Do you loose any coolant or seen any leaking out?

Do you still get heat in the car from the heater?

Any discolouration with the oil is the oil level ok?

Do you hear the fans kick in when it overheats?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They have checked thermostat but they didn't replace anything.
I stopped using this car because it started to lose water for radiator but it has been stopped losing now. Yes the water in the coolant deposit has been very hot after using the car for short distance but the level doesn't drop much
There is not discoloration with oil and the oil level remains within level and the engine is not loosing oil as far I can see.
I don't hear the fans kick in when it overheats. The fan is always working as I left air condition on.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Ok...

For it to overheat quite quickly then it could well be the water pump thats failed,if the impellar is broken then its not circulating coolant so it will obviously overheat quite quickly..they need to see if there is flow in the system.so maybe get them to check that..sadly its run by the timing belt..so you need to bear in mind when the water pump is replaced that the timing belt is done too with all the tensioners/guides.....id say too as precaution have them do a combustion leak test on the coolant system to ensure the headgasket isnt leaking so something else..as continually overheating can run the risk of blowing the headgasket..have they checked that the radiator isnt blocked hoses arent hot at the top and cold at the bottom hose...besids if you dont hear the fans kick in when the temp guage reaches beyond half way then they may need to look into that..check the fans arent siezed aswell as ensure the temp sensor on the thermostat housing isnt faulty..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi do you think if change radiator, thermostat housing and sensor and water pump it might be ok?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Its alot to change and wouldnt be cheap to be honest.it may likely solve your problem which ever has gone faulty..that why its best to check each area of the coolant system first..to see where the problem is at rather then replace everything.but of course thats entirely your decision whether you go down that route..i can only advise based on what you've told me..but likewise i kinda suspect maybe the water pump has given up..thats why checking to see if the system has flow or even do pressure test too...and take it from there...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your advise. Just a last question do you know where I can by a water pump for this car. I so please, can you send me a link or address?
best regards
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Whats your registration number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the registration number is: KN52 YLB
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Ok...You could actually likely get these locally from motor factors if you know any in your area..maybe like eurocarparts etc..but i can give you a link below to ebay..that maybe help..give you an idea what you need here..but obviously you will need coolant too..and maybe as an advisory get the thermostat done at the same time...your garage who is doing the job should order this anyway with the new timing belt and water pump kit..

Link Click here

Please remember to leave a rating for me.much appreciated