Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2006 Audi a3 1.9tdi was choking when i was on a stand by

Hi. My 2006 Audi a3 1.9tdi was choking when i was on a stand by and then few days ago i tried to start it and it rumbled and when i press on gas pedal it started but when i was driving and slowing down rems dropped and my car stopped in a middle of driving. After few trys it starts but as soon as i slow down rems go down and it stops. No lights on dash board at all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also he checked low fuel run but its not. He thinks its one of the injectors gone
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

If you haven't already it’s worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can it be fuel injactors themselfs gone? It doesnt show any fault when mechanic plugged in his diagnostics computer..
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

Its very unlikely that all the injectors have failed at once as each injector has its own little pump

so I'd say either the lift pump in the tank is faulty or the filter is clogged