Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 Audi TT Quattro TDI (YH58YHL) with gear

Hello, I have a 2008 Audi TT Quattro TDI (YH58YHL) with gear selector problems. The gear stick does not spring across the gate and therefore selecting 3rd and 5th going up the gears and 4th and 2nd comming down, is difficult. Thank you for your help. Regards, Alan.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello Alan

these cars are quite prone to issues with shift cables stretching or the shift lever breaking where the cables attach

you can often improve things by adjusting the linkage

As follows:

release the cable ends

put the transmission in the locked adjustment position

remove the screws for the shift ring

place the 4.5mm drill bit in the two holes to hold the shifter in the appropriate position

snap the cable ends back into place

pull the pin to unlock the transmission

remove the item holding the shifter in place

replace ring screws"

this video may also help

https://www.dieselgeek.com/6_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-sigma6.htm

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you