Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Humming noise on audi rs5 sounds coming from behind left

Humming noise on audi rs5 sounds coming from behind left hand side head light under bonet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

is that headlight flickering?

if you turn the lights off does the noise stop?

if you run the engine and pump the brake pedal does the noise change ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi
tried turning lights off and pumping the brake noise still there and does not change
it does change when you slide the gear lever into drive
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Ok in that case I'd say to check the oil level in the gearbox as the next step

take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi matt
its booked in for the 23rd earliest I could get it in will it be alright driving it
I will check the level tomorrow
thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I think as long as you don't have any slipping / struggling to accelerate or any error / fault lights on then you'll be OK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for your help