Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  18 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

I have a contact visit planned with my two children on 2 Jan.

Customer Question

I have a contact visit planned with my two children on 2 Jan. When I dropped them off at their mother yesterday I was quite upset because she had unilaterally changed the access arrangements - claiming that the visit on New Years Day would not be possible because of "a family party". So I was a bit tearful that I wouldn't see them on New Years Day and that caused them to be a bit upset and tearful. Mother is now saying that because the children returned from the visit with me and were upset and crying she will not allow the visit on 2 Jan to happen. Obviously I don't want to turn up at their home and make a scene, so do I just need to kow-tow to the Mother's orders (at least in the short term)?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what is the current pattern of contact?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have noticed that all questions and answers appear on the web site in public - is that really the case?

Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
You have the option to lock the question for privacy at the end of the process
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ah, OK. They're two girls - ages 12 and 14. We moved overseas last year, back to where my wife was born, and fairly soon after that she filed for divorce in the UK. I alternate between the UK and where they are, spending a few weeks at a time out of the UK to see the girls (about 4-5 times a year). We have an agreement about contact fairly regularly (several times a week) when I'm over there - but their Mother has been making contact difficult pretty much since we separated in July.

Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
So in fact the children now live abroad - is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct

Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
Which country do they live in and how long have they lived there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We all moved to Australia in July 2012

Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
Then the issue of what contact you have with them will be dealt with under Australian Law - I shall opt out and Transfer you to the correct section
Please be patient my colleagues are worth waiting for
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I looked for a JustAnswer in Australia and couldn't find one!

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If you find that your question is not getting answered you may want to consider posting your question on the US version of our site, www.justanswer.com, where your question would be made available to a wider range of professionals in Australia Law. You may be able to get an answer faster on the US version of JustAnswer.

You will need to place a new deposit on the US site. You can get a refund of your deposit on the UK site by following this link:

www.justanswer.co.uk/refund/refund.aspx

Please let me know if you need further assistance,