Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

I am considering moving to work in Australia. My son is at

Customer Question

I am considering moving to work in Australia.
My son is at university in the UK. He is in his first year of a 3 year course and is now 19 years old.
I do not have anything to do with his mother (or him).
His mother has made contact regarding on-going maintenance payments for him now that he has left secondary education.
Details were exchanged via solicitors.
An offer was made by me last November but his mother has made no response to this.
My solicitor advised that in fact my liability under the UK court system was nil.
If I do go to work in Australia will she/he be able to use the Australian CSA to obtain maintenance from me?
H.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
Under Australian Law because he is over 18 you will not be liable to pay for child support.
If they want to try and get some they have to take it to court in the Family Court because he is over 18.
Having said that, if they get an order for child support in the UK courts, then the Child Support Agency can be used to collect money as per the UK order if they register it here in Australia.
But generally they cannot apply for child support it the CSA here as he is 19 and not entitled.
I hope this makes sense. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Leon