Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

I have been working current employer is associated companies

Customer Question

I have been working for my current employer is associated companies for the last 5 years and am now working for another associated company in the uk. Do I have continuity of employment. There has been no break in employment.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.What does your contract say?If your contract does not say you have continuity of service and you have entered a new employment contract then the answer is you do not have continuity of service. If you were seconded to the UK position the you may be able to ask that you have continuity but this should have been discussed and set out in writing when you moved. Generally because you are in another country and a new company then the answer is no you have left one employer and started with another. If you had resigned and taken the new position that that is a termination of your employment. You need to look at how the change occurred and what you signed. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further, thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon