Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

I am employed on a floating production vessel in the Timor

Customer Question

I am employed on a floating production vessel in the Timor Sea in the JPDA, I am paying UK Tax at 40%from 5April. Out of this 40% 3% every wage is held by my company who will pay it to Australian tax office at the end of the financial year. I have filled in the relevant Tax forms for registration with Australia tax office and KPMG will deal with it.
17% is taken & held monthly & to be paid to East Timor Tax office (no tax forms or registration) at the end of the financial year.
What Can I claim back as I will also be out of the country for a total of 200+days
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Which country will you do your income tax return?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do 2 one in the UK and 1 through KPMG to Australia (for the %) paid.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, Both the UK and Australia have tax treaty where your tax paid in australia will be recognised in the UK and vice versa.If you have been double taxed then you should get some back. I would suggest that you discuss this in detail with an accountant in both countries and they will tell you whether it is best to do the return in Australia or the UK.In reality you only have to do a return in the country that you are resident for tax purposes.For australia residency for tax purposes is explained at the following linkhttps://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/As a resident you are entitled to the first $18,000.00 tax free and then taxed on the rest. There were similar rules in the UK so you have to work out where you are resident and do the return there and get credit for the taxes you paid in the other country so you are not double taxed. I hope this makes sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need a British Tax specialist to answer my query, especially on double taxation and over 200days working offshore internationally. The answer is all about Aus tax treaty doesn't cover the rest of my question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I require a UK specialist to answer my question as I did not ask about Tax relief from Australia but what I am entitled to claim through the UK.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening,Do you need any further assistance?