Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

I have a question over copyright in Australia - I am a UK business

I have a question over copyright in Australia - I am a UK business and an Australian company is using my copy on their website - have I any legal leg to stand on in asking them to remove it?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.If they are using it without your consent you have a right to ask them to remove it and if they dont, you can sue them for damages. In Australia Copyright is automatic it does not have to be registered. You won the copyright and if you can show it is yours the court will make orders in your favour. But you can ask ro them to remove it first and if they refuse then you can sue. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there

So does the fact that I am a British company have nothing to do with it?

I am not a registered Australian business so didn't know if that was a problem or not.

Can you confirm - yes or no?

I will then issue a letter

Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
It makes no difference. If an australian has been using your copy without consent they are in breach. You issue the letter to them. Good luck. You are very welcome and thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon