How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Leon Your Own Question

Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44137
Experience:  24 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now

Two years ago I became an Exclusive UK distributor

Customer Question

Good afternoon
Two years ago I became an Exclusive UK distributor for an Australian tanning company, and was given an agreement which neither of us signed but I believe once business has taken place makes the agreement effective. The agreement was for 2 years and was up on 01.04.16, but within the agreement as long as all criteria had been met then it should automatically be extended for a further 12 months.
However they have a change of management and I have been sent a new contract which is totally unworkable and unfair. I took the original contract as Exclusive UK distributor, she now wants me to be England distributor taking off me Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. This new contract is full of objectives that cannot be met as there is no limit on them. Therefore they can take this from me at any time.
I have invested into this business £50,000.00 getting the brand well known in the UK and also throughout Europe, but with this new contract I have no way of getting my investment back due to them reducing my territory and my exclusivity.
In the first contract is says under NZ and Australian Law, the second contract is under NSW Law. She is refusing to even talk about the first contract am I right in thinking that this is a breech of contract? is there anything that I can do about this situation?
Look forward to your reply
Kind regards
Sarah Jane Riley
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Unless you agree to it cannot be enforced.

Because you have not signed the first does not mean you do not have an agreement. If you were working under the first and payments and other terms and conditions were being met by both parties then you can argue agreement by acquiescence.

You need to advise them that you do not agree with the new terms and will not sign it and that you rely on the original agreement you have been working with.

Set out what you will be losing if you agree to the new contract.

But make sure this is all in writing.

If they make the changes then you will need to hire a new solicitor in Australia to support you and seek and injunction against them implementing the changes.

The agreement is over but it does not mean it is non existent you have continued on it and until you both agree to change it it remains on foot.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



What Customers are Saying:

  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H.
< Previous | Next >
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H.
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex

Meet The Experts:

  • José M.

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
< Previous | Next >
  • José M.'s Avatar

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
  • Ely's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with experience in common law, civil law, international family law, and international contracts.
  • Anna's Avatar


    Teacher, writer, biologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
  • pdheslin's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
  • Kim D.'s Avatar

    Kim D.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Researcher 20+yrs in small and large institutions
  • findinganswers's Avatar


    Internet Researcher

    Satisfied Customers:

    Internet Researcher, Nurse for over 17 years, and can find answers for you!