Leon
Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  18 years experience. Admitted in New South Wales and the UK.
12124641

My husband is monitoring my face book use -age, went through

Customer Question

My husband is monitoring my face book use -age, went through my mobile phone messages, and demands my attention via text messages constantly. I am living away from home at the moment, completing an arduous psychology clinical masters course. The university is interstate from our home where I have left my 13 year old daughter who is in school and living with my husband ( her step father). This last weekend, I was invited to a birthday party with some friends. My daughter was spending time with her father, and so my husband came to the party. He got very drunk, and as the party was in a venue where we were staying, he returned to our room, then demanded I stay with him, he was crying, and saying I don't need him, and then threatened to drive away. He pushed and shoved me, and wrestled me to the ground to get the car keys off me. He was holding me down with his arms around my throat from behind. He has been waging long winded text message fights from home, accusing me of not prioritising him and my daughter. Also, I struggle to have a phone conversation alone with my daughter, and he won't let us talk without him, the phone always has to be on speaker. I am beginning to worry. He told me he had a dream that I was having an affair and he came and tried to burn the house down while I was in it. He has apologized for his behaviour on Saturday night, but I am thinking back over our time together and seeing a pattern. I just looked at the 'cycle of abuse' on the hidden hurt website, and I can recognise a lot of the patterns in his behaviour. Jealousy, emotional abuse, control, getting together too quickly at at time when I was vulnerable ( my daughters husband had just left me for another woman), making me feel guilty when I started to back out of the whole thing... I went ahead with it (oh dear). I am 100% reliant on his support as I complete this course. But I am beginning to be worried about my daughter. He teases her till she cries, and while I believe she cares for him, she has known him since she was 5 years old, I am concerned that he may try and sabotage our relationship, so that she only relies on him.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
having just re read through my story, I have come across an error. I have referred to my daughters father as 'my daughters husband'. She is still a child, and was only 3 when her father abandoned us.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, she is still a child to me, she is now 13.
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If you have concerns for your husband injuring his step daughter (your daughter) you have to report this to the authorities, from your description he appears to be unstable and may be suffering psychologically. If he is not having treatment he should.

Your daughters father may use this against you to seek to have orders changed and she live with him.

You have to speak to a family law solicitor to get this sorted assay as the childs father can argue because you are not available to look after her she should live with him.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance . If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Leon